Monday, March 18, 2013

Tiramisu

Not my first choice on the menu when I'm out, not because I don't like it, in fact I'm quite the fan but I know what it tastes like and more often than not it's the disappointing pre-pack version that's served up to me in restaurants.

Below is the Paolo Tullio version and I need to make some exchanges because I don't have the ingredients here and I'm not going shopping especially for it.  You can use stale cake instead of ladyfingers providing you avoid brownies they're too gooey to soak the liquids.  I don't always have brandy so rum or coffee liqueur is good.

Like any trifle a nice glass dish to show the layers is pretty cool.

Please note that this is not suitable for children or those with a bun in the oven because of the raw eggs.

250g Mascarpone Cheese
200g Caster Sugar
Ladyfingers/savoiardi biscuits
3 eggs
Marsala
a room temp espresso
Cocoa for sprinkling


  1. Separate the eggs and whisk yolks with sugar.  Add half an espresso and a splash of brandy and mix well.  Next add the mascarpone cheese a bit at a time until is thoroughly mixed.
  2. In a clean bowl whisk egg whites until stiff and fold them into the mascarpone mix.
  3. Lay down a layer of ladyfingers into the bottom of the glass dish dipping each biscuit into the remaining espresso on one side first (or you could just layer them down first and sprinkle them with coffee liqueur)
  4. Place a layer of the mascarpone mix on top and repeat finishing with a layer of the mascarpone mix. Sieve a layer of cocoa powder on top.
  5. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment