Sunday, November 27, 2011

Cookie cutters

A cookie cutter is a shape that when applied to either pastry or certain cookie doughs cuts a shape in that form.   But lets face it, a glass will do! but the cookie cutters are so cute but can be addictive. I have a selection of them and I have had to organise them into labled ziplock bags but I have seen much worse.  I have certain associations some of which I understand their origins such as what would a gingerbread man be if not that shape (actually the answer is a gingerbread woman - I thought he was getting a little lonely and so his bachelor days are over) but then again I think Shortbread I think Hearts, I think spiced cookies I think stars.

Best cookie cutters to use: I would say that the best cookie cutters to use are the metal ones because they cut out the lines of the cookie cleanly and with ease.  But plastic will do just fine.

Tips:

  • Always flour before use and during cutting cookies this helps with speed and consistency of shape
  • Wash in warm soapy water, dry thoroughly and if using metal pop the cookie cutters back into the oven as it cools down after making the cookies to dry them out completely and prevent rust and discolouration.
  • Store them so you can find them easily.  If you know you'll spend needless time finding the right one you won't go looking for it.  I've heard multiple suggestions for this but I use labelled Ziploc bags e.g. Christmas, Circles, etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment